Sunday, January 16, 2011

R.I.P Customer Service

 I guess when you talk about customer service, good customer service perhaps we can start it out like a fairy tale. Is it just a child hood fantasy, something that was read to us that we carried in our imaginations? I remember when people smiled when you walked into a business, or they were happy to help and that meant you left a happy customer.

 Today true customer service seems to be dying off and it seems as if the new generations don't care. Where did we go wrong? I remember being in the service industry and knowing if I didn't not give good customer service it meant my job. Now bad service seems to be rewarded. I challenge you to walk into a grocery store, a restaurant, a clothing store or just about any business and find someone who is not on their cell phone, or texting or chatting with their co workers about how drunk they were or what a skank someone is.

 I remember the days when if you did have a bad experience the supervisor or manager were very apologetic. Now days if you have a problem, these people try to turn it on you as if its your problem. I am not saying that its every where, but it sure seems to be the case. Do people not care about their jobs anymore? I mean after all, if there are no customers, there is no business!

 We all have our favorite places whether it be a restaurant, clothing store, electronic store, etc. How do you feel if you continue to have bad experiences over and over? I know me, I get very upset and just send a letter to the corporate office on why I am no longer going to be a paying customer with their company, and to no surprise I never hear a word or get an apology.

Sitting at work sometimes I have witnessed this, and nothing is done. I have to be in the twilight zone, how can anyone treat people the way they do with no type of punishment at all? It makes me sad because now, instead of going to my favorite store, I would much rather sit here at home and make purchases on laptop hoping and praying that I get the correct size. I feel less stressed that some rude little twit isn't pushing up my blood pressure because I am standing in her line and she had to hang up with her boyfriend or her best friend.

 Here is an idea! Why don't these companies wake up and invest in training for their employees, become involved in their company and make sure they are contributing to a successful business. If there is a pleasant environment that means more customers. More customers mean a strong business that supports the economy.  If we are happy customers, that means a happy business. You get more with honey than with vinegar. Yes, I know not all customers are pleasant, however that doesn't mean you carry that attitude and tackle the next helpless person who had nothing to do with what happened before.

Maybe its just me ranting, maybe its just me getting older or just maybe its me remembering how things use to be. Hey why don't we spread the news, the economy is tough and jobs are few in some places. Lets care about our jobs and do the best we can. If your not happy, look for another one. If you are stuck in a company of barbarians who could care less about their employees just wear a graceful smile and breathe while you search for a job that will appreciate all the hard work you do and treat you like someone who wants to be there and to make the customer happy. Have fun but still remember to be professional. Remember no one needs to know your personal business, but you can still carry on a conversation and be pleasant.

This is just something that has been on my mind for a while. I can say all of this because I have worked at a hotel and a bank and a spa, a convenience store and an electronics store. I know that no matter what I do, if I re-enter he service field I can deliver the best customer service just as I was trained to do.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,

    Great post and you hit the nail on the head. Customers are seen as a problem. I think organisations are allowing the bad loud customers to infect and corrupt their customer service departments.

    Customer service is a great opportunity to not only help customers, but to keep customers, cerment client loyality, gain referrals, use experience and feedback to improve the experience and more.

    Unless a mindset of an organisation changes from the top down, otherwise those providing good customer service are worn down by negative procedures and being placed at the mercy of negative clients...... if only customer service was seen as an opportunity.

    Great post.

    All the best

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete