Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Party hard, 1940's style!

I have been obsessed with the 1940’s since I was young enough to dress myself. People often wonder why since I was born in 1974. It could be due to being exposed to the old classic movies from the 40’s and the music at a very young age. This era to me showed what real men and women were. Men were the hero’s of the day and women were so elegant and beautiful.

The way the people dressed back then has always caught my eye. There were no pants hanging to the knee’s, skirts so short you could see the private parts, and everything was very neat and clean. To me the 1940’s showed respect, confidence, and beauty. It didn’t matter if you were a man, woman, to me it seemed perfect. I know what you’re probably thinking, “each generation had their problems” and you’re correct. Just think about this though, people respected each other more and times seemed a lot happier.

Musicals in the 40’s were entertaining and fun filled. I can sit all day, watch the classics and not be bored. They did not need continued violence, drugs, torture, blood. While little girls were pretending to be Barbie, I was dreaming of being Lauren Bacall. I could listen to Frank Sinatra on my portable record player or watch Casa Blanca. Did technology throw a wrench into the wheel of time that caused all of the chaos? Is it wrong of me to dream of better times where people got along?

In three years, I will be turning 40 and I plan to ring in my 40’s in style, although three years away, I am planning the party of a lifetime. There will be music, dancing, food and elegance. In addition, living in NYC all of these years I have to throw in a bit of a show. Yes, I am going to participate of course being the birthday girl, I will be wearing a 1940’s era gown while the love of my life will be channeling Bogart himself. Big question, will I be singing? The answer is not really! I will learn the words to those songs I love and in Brittany Spears style, lip sync away!

Will this be the party of the Year, party of my life? You bet! So hit up the consignment shops, get to those thrift stores or if your crafty with a sewing machine stitch up a party dress! This is going to be a party you won’t ever forget!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Janet,

    Your right there is a lack of respect these days. It is a shame. :(

    It is great you have a favourite era. I love the old black and white movies (sorry still not watched your recommended one yet).

    Also great is your birthday party is going to be a 40's theme. Hope you have an awesome time.

    Cheers for sharing. Great blog post.

    All the best

    Andrew

    ReplyDelete