Friday, February 11, 2011

Out of the mouths of babes......

The other day my 15 yr old daughter made a decision, without any input from me at all. She said she was deleting her Facebook page because she spends too much time on it and she needed to put more attention towards her school work. Imagine that, not a bit of persuasion from mother or any other adult, she came to this decision all on her own! I couldn't be more proud of my daughter, who is becoming a beautiful young woman all too fast.

This isn't a bad idea, or even cutting back on it. I know that I got wrapped up in Facebook and the games that you can play, or catching up on people from my past and present. I put down my camera, forgot almost about my photography or other things that use to be so important. So what if we all do what my daughter is doing? If a child can do it why cant we? I think we all need to remember that there is a life outside of Facebook. Go back to reading books, or learn something new, there are many free lessons online that you can participate in, or take a nice long walk, curl up and watch a  movie, or take up a hobby such as knitting, or cake decorating.

Does it mean that I will give it up for good? Who knows, but I do know that since I have cut back, I have found so much more time to do the things I said I no longer had time for. I have gone back to using Twitter which is not as time consuming but allows me to keep in touch with my awesome friends. If you step back and take a look you will see what I mean. I believe we all are so obsessed with technology that we forget about our lives and our families. We need to introduce the passion for learning to our children, since its something that's missing from schools today. Let's not let them rot away to reality TV and video games. Maybe then our future generations wont be in trouble. Maybe our kids will go back to being happy with being themselves, and not so worried about growing up so fast. Just maybe they will learn to not take life for granted. All it takes is just one to plant the seed......

2 comments:

  1. amanda and billy deactivated theirs a couple weeks back and were off for awhile now they're back but they are hardly on it anymore...i've noticed since i started school i'm hardly on as much as i used to...it is too addicting...good for you turtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Janet,
    glad your daugther got to the conclusion that facebook and the internet-world isnt the main thing in life. Education,friends and family are much more important and its always good to lern a healthy combination. Spending time on socialnetworks isnt a bad thing-its becoming bad if you forget to live over it. Right?!:)
    Well done Turtle for such a wise decision!
    Huggies*Linn*

    ReplyDelete