Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Attention restaurants; Beware of the offended palate!

So, I was not able to continue in the blog challenge for reasons beyond my control, but I am back. For my first blog post since the last one, this one is going to make it count! If you know me well, you know that the one thing that annoys me about eating out when people rave about a restaurant is going there and getting bad food! I grew up in the south, I know a bit about BBQ. With that being said, I hate when a restaurant claims to be “REAL BBQ” when they haven’t the slightest clue on how to make it.

On Saturday, we went to a place called Hill Country Barbecue Market, which is supposed to be based on Texas BBQ. I lived in Texas and have had Texas BBQ. These people were way off! We go there thinking that this is going to be a great experience, the place was even packed! (Usually this is a good sign, but then again we are in NYC). I was a bit annoyed that we had to get our own food, could have gotten past that if they had noted that on their website but they do not. The people who you give your meal ticket to have about as much personality as a camel. This is something that can make a dinning experience a bad one!

The food seriously lacked flavor in the worst way, and to make matters worse it was way under cooked! This was to be my loves birthday dinner and it turned out to be a disaster. My oldest daughter ordered chicken, which was medium rare, which is no way to eat chicken. My youngest daughter ordered the ½ pound of ribs. What she got really was 2 rib bones with what looked like traces of meat that wouldn’t even come off. And my boyfriend and I, well same story food was just not edible. I don’t like to make a fuss in restaurants, especially here in the city because it seems like the way it goes the customer is always wrong. I will be glad when I leave the city and return the civilization.

One big lesson learned, do not go for BBQ in NYC unless it’s RUB, by my experience, the only REAL BBQ restaurant in NYC so far. How do I know? A world champion pit master who is an expert in Kansas City style BBQ created it….Southern Hospitality your next, you better bring it!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Janet,
    oh dear! I hate when such things happen. That can ruin your mood for days.:(
    Did you ate all the food or did they get you knew ones?How come that the customer is always wrong in NY?Thats certanly NOT the case here or elsewehere. Why is NY so weird, I thought they have HIGHCLASS restaurants all over the city with great knowledge&standarts of preparing food. Pfft. sad reading that it wasnt joyful at all. Maybe next time you safe the money you spent there and go food shopping and make a huge Family meal out of it!:)
    I would love to read a post about your experience about NY.What you like about the City and what not.:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Linn,

    The city is great to visit, but not to live. Then again I am a country girl. The problem I have with a lot of restaurants here in the city especially BBQ restaurants, they don't know what they are doing. It would be like me since I love beer, going and opening my own brewery and saying that I make authentic German beer. Sorry it wasn't enjoyable reading, I was really so disappointed because it was my boyfriends birthday and it made his day bad. We love cooking and he loves to BBQ, so spring and summer he hits the grill a lot :) I will have to post some pics when it gets warmer of his s grilling days :) he is quite good.

    ReplyDelete