Tuesday, March 4, 2014

How I knew I was meant to work in the medical field

There are things that we do in life that we just know that we were meant to do, to be there in that moment or on that journey. I believe all the struggle that I went through once I moved back to Florida lead me to what I was destined to do. I looked everywhere to find a job believing that all of the experience I had for so many years, someone would surely scoop me up right away and boy was I wrong. Not knowing what to do, I found myself at a cross road in my life, and unsure where to go next. I decided that it was now or never, go back to school and finish what I had tried to begin all those years ago, and due to lack of support was unable to complete.

I decided that I would enroll in the Medical Assisting program at Keiser University, unsure that this late in life I could be successful at Nursing. My nervousness began to leave as I began making top grades in everything I learned, however still slightly unsure that I could do this or that I was even going the right direction. At the end of my core classes I began my MA externship, which is a type of field training to get you ready for putting your skills to use in the real world. Was I ready for it? Well it was just too late to back down, so nerves in all I jumped into my first day, and the next and the next. The days got easier as I floated to different departments, working with new people, meeting all kinds of patients and learning that I was really good at what I was doing, even with a limit set to what I could do as a student.


I have excelled in all that I do, and some days just being the hand a patient holds because they are scared and just need the support was more rewarding than I thought it could ever be. I was happy to go in every day and work so hard that I passed out as soon as I sat down at home, not being paid but so very happy at the same time. That is the moment that I knew, and I am now confident that I can move on to Nursing because that is where my destiny is leading me, and I am now months away from graduating with my Associates in Science Degree in Medical Assisting.

The road ahead is wide open, ready to take me where ever I want to go. I got here without anyone forcing me into it and just little support from those who matter, but I did it and I will keep on going. It's the little rewards that keep me going, the smile from a difficult patient, the hug from an elderly lady who was so afraid, the inspiring story of hope from a nurse who beat cancer and the feeling I get when I sit in my truck so tired from a long day, but I feel like I did something important today and it is why I will continue on the path I am now. Never give up, it is never too late to achieve your goals and dreams.



No comments:

Post a Comment